Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother, I love you.

My mom is a never-ending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. – Graycie Harmon

Not too long ago, there was this church filmstrip called “I’ll Build You a Rainbow”. I used to have the story memorized. It was about a little boy named Jamey and his mother. I came to love this story as I likened the little boy to myself. Both our mothers died when we were 11 yrs old.


The story talked about Jamey’s mom having all the time in the world for him as compared to other moms who were busy with their “fashion shows & bridge parties”. She was home with him. I remember when I was growing up, my mother stayed home with me. She was a homemaker. My dad was already retired from the Navy when I was born. I never had to miss my parents’ company while growing up.

My 11th year in life was notable as this was the time my mother got sick and died. The same happened to Jamey’s mom. He was called home from school one day and he was surprised to see an ambulance parked in the driveway. When he went in the house, he saw his mom lying on the bed. He had a moment with her. Jamey did not understand as to why it had to happen. He said, “mom you can’t die”. His mom replied, “It’s ok Jamey. I have been with you more in 11 years that most moms been with their boys in their whole lifetime”. He said, “I know mom. I know, but you just can’t die”. The mother reassuringly responded, “Jamey I want you to know a secret—it’s a special secret, and I want you to always remember it: ‘Families are forever’”!

I wish I also had a moment with my mom before she closed her eyes and eventually passed on. I was playing the piano at home one morning. She walked towards me and sat down on the rocking chair by the piano. I thought she fell asleep while listening to my music. I couldn’t wake her up. When the doctors came, they said she must be taken to the hospital. The next time I saw my mother, she was in a casket.

I remember it was my mother who sent me to piano school. She aspired that someday I can play the hymns at church. The church building in our hometown was still under construction when she died. It was a noble intention and for that, I am grateful that since then, I’ve been playing the piano at church. It has become a talent I humbly share. It also came handy when I was a missionary. There were some areas where wards or branches didn’t have pianists so I got to play during sacrament meetings.

Going back, the day my mother arrived in a casket, I went to our backyard. I looked up in the sky and I didn’t know what to think or feel. I didn’t understand. I went in the house by the kitchen door and my father was right there. He embraced me and cried, “your mother is gone”. I cried, too. Just like Jamey, I could feel my dad’s teardrops on my own cheeks. Then I remembered the secret. I looked up to him and said, “dad it’s alright, families are forever!”

My mother was out of my life’s scene early. It’s been 23 years since, but I still remember her as a kind and caring mother. I remember her kisses when I was hurt. She was always there to give me a hug every time I was in trouble. Of all the things she did, I will always be thankful for the things she taught me. She was my primary teacher at church. I learned about the Savior and my Heavenly Father’s love at her knees. My mother instilled my testimony of living prophets to me. I remember her testimony of President Kimball. She loved that prophet and she testified that when communicating with God, President Kimball could almost touch the Savior. From that testimony, I know now as I learned before that our living prophets and apostles are literally special witnesses, even eyewitnesses of the Savior.

My mother. I love her. I thank the Lord for giving her to me and letting her stay with me for those 11 years. I thank her for the love, the comfort, and the happiness, which became music to me, still playing in my heart. It’s been a long time. I can only remember a few things about her, but the tune unto which she sang her lullabies will always be a part of me. Ultimately, I’m grateful for the knowledge & assurance that I can be together with her again, forever.

“I'll build you a rainbow, way up high above. Send down a sunbeam, plumb full of love. Sprinkle down raindrops, teardrops of joy. I'll be happy as spring-time, watchin' over my boy”




No comments: