Monday, May 5, 2008

Almost Perfect Getaway (A Photo Essay)

Bantayan Island, Cebu
QA Outing-Summer '08
Our seemingly endless wait for a ride back to Cebu and the woes that came with it almost ruined our Bantayan summer escapade. Toby became fidgety, as Ting remained somewhat calm as everybody else. Ann would rather ride a V-hire, yet Paul proposed that we head to Bogo and take our chances there for a bus ride. However, there is not anyone more concerned about the situation than Lainy, while Jan patiently grins buoyantly to keep the team together. There is exhaustion in Marc’s eyes as Cedie expresses his dismay about the matter. Mira smiles her braces out as she, too, tries hard optimistically to see the situation through.



Our QA team capped Summer 2008, and successfully froze the moments in Bantayan Island. We began our retreat leaving the office in a rainy Saturday dawn. The sun was still behind the clouds when we arrived at Hagnaya. It was drizzling. The weather was tolerable in such a way that it wasn’t warm yet it was far from being chilly. I loved it as I’m not the type of person who’d appreciate a hot weather. It takes the energy out of me and drains me eventually. I’m probably just getting old. I take on the vigor of my youthful friends.

I can’t recall when I last immersed myself in seawater. It was probably more than 10 years ago. I was actually waiting for Ting as she beseeched me prior to the outing that I should get wet and indulge myself. Juvi had to leave early. She, too, entreated me to take a dip. Both Ting and Juvi’s pleas were not without a condition. Afraid that I might lose them as friends (pun intended), regardless of how long it has been since I bathe in the beach, I had to go and took the plunge. Watching Lainy, Jan, Cedie, and Juvi from the terrace of our room, enjoying the Bantayan seawater, somehow gave me the yearning to join them. I did. I almost forgot how it felt like to be in the water that I’d never felt so cold in my life. It was still drizzling and the sun wasn’t out. I almost quit and wanted to run back to the resort room. The guys had to convince me to keep my body in the water. That, eventually, kept me warm. I was glad I stayed. I didn’t want to get out of it.



Ann, Marc, & Mira had their own adventure while we were reveling in the beach. Thanks to them we were fed well during the trip. I’m amazed at how these guys express initiative, take inconveniences & turn them into funny experiences. They had to go to Bantayan proper to buy food. Ann recounted that the ride to and from the place seemed endless. While in that seemingly incessant journey, imagine holding your breath naturally because of the poultry stink. You believe It will only take a few turns before you get a grasp of fresh air again. To your dismay, the poultry covered what seemed like 48 acres or 99% of your entire travel time. You have to accept the fact that you’ve taken in the foul-smelling air into your system and hope that it will refresh itself once you reach the fresh air zone.

We missed Juvi’s company overnight.

The Iron Chef Marc took care of our cuisine for dinner. We were all in the room after, having delightful exchanges until some, including I became heavy eyed. We thought to hit the sheets. Marc, Ting, & Toby remained awake until later. Marc said he took the dive before bidding Saturday goodbye.

During the night, I was awakened by the animated sounds of snoring. I found I wasn’t alone. Ann and Paul were awake. It didn’t take long before I found myself in my dreams again, leaving Paul absorbed by his video game, and Ann reading the silly text message of Gwendee. It was a fun-filled night just listening to the snoring episodes. To a musically inclined person like me, I thought there was music in the wheezing sound. (Pun intended)

Nothing compares to a Sunday Breakfast treat by Iron Chef Marc. The Tuna Cheese Omelet, the Hamonada, and the Tuna Omelet (without cheese this time). The presentation itself was half the treat! It was a good way to start the day as the sun was already out.




Ogtong cave resort was just beautiful! There’s a loch enclosed in a cave, which was the main attraction of the resort. There was also a fresh water swimming pool, aside, of course from the open beach.




Lunch was taken cared of by Tristan Beach Resort—our refuge for this getaway. Getting ready to move out was as eventful as our arrival. I lazed around gripping on the air conditioner, as I know it will be excruciatingly hot outside. We took off and headed for the pier. The same as how we came in, we RORO’d our way out of Bantayan.

What’s amazing from this outing is that despite some trouble or difficulty, the team’s diverse strengths came into play as the inconveniences were turned into positive experiences. Each member of the team, despite some display of frustration & exhaustion, rose above adverse moods and faced the trip head on.


Until the next QA outing, we just had a blast of exciting moments—enough to keep us going and to keep us strong as a team. From such familiarity as this, we come to know each other and bond—to strengthen friendships and create lasting memories.

We had fun, even in the bus ride on the way home.



No comments: