Monday, April 14, 2008

New Prophet



It was a privilege watching the General Conference proceedings. I was able to take a peak Sunday morning before going to church, and eventually continuing to finish some sessions early this morning. This conference is historic and significant. We will all be honored to experience the proceedings this coming weekend and the first session will be, what we traditionally call, the Solemn Assembly. We will have the opportunity to raise our right hand to sustain our beloved prophet, President Thomas S. Monson.

As of this writing, the concluding session of this year’s Annual General Conference has not been uploaded in the Internet. I realized this when I, inattentively, clicked on the link for the Sunday afternoon session of October conference last year, thinking that it was of the most recent conference. I thought while I am on it, I might as well take another look at President Hinckley. I moved towards the end of the streaming video and there was President Hinckley’s closing remarks. Who would forget his humor, referring to this year’s April conference, “I’m 97, but I hope I'm going to make it”. Oh we do miss him! We miss his humor, his wit, and his charm.

Now we have a new prophet in the person of Thomas S. Monson. I wish I could say that I adore him as much as I adore President Hinckley. Then again, I realize that my attention was drawn to Gordon Hinckley because he was such a visible leader of the church in my growing up years. When he became prophet, I already loved him. Now, the focus is shifted to another person, who sat by President Hinckley as his counselor all those years. The only difference is, from 1995 to 2008, President Hinckley remained healthy until the day of his death in January of this year. Prior prophets such as Spencer W. Kimball, Ezra Taft Benson, & Howard W. Hunter, were sickly towards the end of their days leaving President Hinckley the most recognizable figure in the first presidency. That didn’t happen during President Hinckley’s tenure as prophet, which leaves Thomas Monson in the shadows.

Now that President Monson is the prophet, I think of his talks all these years. When I figured out that he’s going to be the next in line, I began observing his life and his teachings. I am impressed that he became a Bishop at age 22, & eventually became a member of the Quorum of the Twelve at age 36. Those are in themselves, testimonies of his commitment, worthiness, & dedication to the work of the Lord. I remember his talks in parables & those about compassionate service. He’s made a mark in the ministry as a living example of his talks & teachings. I can recall his diligence in continuing correspondence with people, his home teaching experiences, which eventually turned out successful. When I think of President Monson, I am reminded of the hymn, “Dear to the Heart of the Shepherd”. I believe that his presidency will be a hallmark of taking care of the poor and the needy, & a keen focus on the less/in-active members of the church—the lost sheep.

As I watch him during the Solemn Assembly, being sustained by each quorum/auxiliary in the church, I recognize that I love him. He may not be as adorable as President Hinckley, but he has his own marks of being a prophet. He is a giant of a spiritual man in his own right. He is filled, as is the Savior, with “compassion towards the children of men” (Mosiah 15:9), and his works has brought to pass abundant outpouring of love and gratitude. I know that he is a prophet of God. I look forward to be among those who will be privileged to be in his presence when he comes to dedicate another House of the Lord here in the lovely city of Cebu.

No comments: